the REAL Polnareff (and an Araki interview)

All the JoJo and Araki-related things you may wish to talk about...
IKKI
Dat french dawg

the REAL Polnareff (and an Araki interview)

Postby IKKI » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:24 am

I thought you guys might wanna have a laugh today so here I'm posting these photos of the man who gave his name to the french character of JoJo.

This man goes by the name of Michel Polnareff.

Back in his heyday:

Nowadays:

Last edited by IKKI on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
justajoestar
Soldier of Light

Postby justajoestar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:27 pm

hahaha, well, you can't say his clothes ARE Araki's way of designing characters! XD

the second one don't show much, but show enoughXD

the first pic reminds me of the first Alex Rider done by Araki....(mostly because of the jacket).
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:34 pm

justajoestar wrote:the second one don't show much, but show enoughXD

There you go.

Actually he lives in L.A. but plans to make a come-back.
justajoestar
Soldier of Light

Postby justajoestar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 pm

hohohoho, quoting myself:
....(mostly because of the jacket).

see it for yourself:
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/fantasy/storm ... /main.html
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/fantasy/pointblanc/main.html
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/fantasy/skeletonkey/main.html
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/fantasy/eaglestrike/main.html
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/fantasy/scorpia/main.html

maaaaaybe there IS something from michel polnareff in these designs...(woa, he sure likes big sunglasses.....he looks like a power ranger in that last pic!XD)
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:52 pm

Obligado for the links. I'd seen some of these arts before but I didn't know about this site.

These books are available round here but they don't come with the lavish covers by Araki. :smt009

He thinks his eyeballs are so prominent so he wears sunglasses all the time.
justajoestar
Soldier of Light

Postby justajoestar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:11 pm

<o> OMG put the glasses back! Holy Sh*t!

.......so......we're talking about JoJo in french....and interviews....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... arre&hl=en

a translation here would be much appreciated^___^
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:11 pm

Alrite I'll translate it as soon as possible. :smt006
jojonounderworld
Space Jockey

Postby jojonounderworld » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:07 pm

:smt005

Man, that was a good laugh. THanks IKKI.
"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life" -David 8
「無事 ナプキンをとってくれ」 「もちろんだ.ありがとう」
「俺は人間をやめるぞ!ジョジョ!」
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:55 am

O prometido é devido... :smt020

"To be honest becoming a mangaka was my childhood dream. When I was about 9, I was drawing all the time at school and my friends I was showing my drawings to, like them a lot. It gaves me the bravery and desire to try my luck in that field. And after at universty I could participate in a contest which allowed me to begin my career as a mangaka."

"When I was young in the early 70's there was a huge amount of manga that I liked. My favorite ones being those with stories dealing about sports, horror, and even sci-fi. Therefore I was inspired by all of this to create my own stories. I'm not sure but still I consider having been inspired a lot of by the works of my elders and I reckon my work wouldn't be what it is "without them. Anyhow I'm still attached to the past of manga and there is still today influence by the authors I'd read as a teenager."

"What I've been trying to do when I started manga was to make evolve the drawing which was somehow too flat, but from the 80's on mangakas started to inspire from Michaelangelo's work. The generation of mangaka I belong to was inspired much by the artists like Michaelangelo or some French painters in order to create characters whose physical aspects was more striking."

(On Tetsuo Hara, I suppose) "The fact that our drawings look alike is very easy to explain. We started at about the same period in the early 80's and it was then too that movies starring Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger started to come to Japan and all these action movies were big hits there. Actually I reckon we wanted to make manga starring macho characters, with big muscles and fighting all the time, a bit like the heroes of the action movies."

"Before the 5th part I reckon, the story was too long so I'll try to make them shorter now."

"The new generation of mangaka is about 10 years younger than me, so they've read Jojo in their childhood, and so it's normal that it has inspired them."

"What I've been trying to do when I started Jojo is to implement a powerful and invisible force which would overcome my characters during the fights. So the idea of stand came to me by thinking of shintoism, which teaches us that our ancestors are always by our side to protect us."

"It's a real pain in the ass for me trying to show the good side of some of my bad guys as it's always very hard. I'd rather go for a more stereotyped approach where I create a hero who will fundamentally be good and to make it balanced, oppose him to a truly evil being."

"About the animé nothing is planned so far but maybe in the future the 5th part will be adapted to TV too." (!?)

"I've no experience as a prisoner myself but I've visited jails and made researches on the subject to make my scenario credible and I've no real mesage to pass on except maybe the condition of mangaka regarding to their editors. Every week I've to hand in 20 new pages to mine.
I work simply, on friday I imagine what's next in the story and write the scenario, then from saturday to tuesday I create the drawings, so normally I've two days off a week, but I mainly use them to imagine the sories of weeks to come."

"I deal with the main drawing but my assistants are the ones who deal with the details. And if I can be here today it's only because I've just finished the 6th part so I'm entitled to a few holidays. But the rest of the time I'm very busy."

Sorry guys, I really don't have the skills yet to make subtitles for that vid.
justajoestar
Soldier of Light

Postby justajoestar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:12 pm

:smt038 :smt023

OH , man, don't worry about subtitles at all! great job! and it's a great interview too!
Araki says a lot of things about his influences/influenced things, which answers another topic from this forumXD

I've no experience as a prisoner myself

haha, we're lucky on that, huh,Araki Sensei?XD

O prometido é devido...

woa, IKKI speaks portuguese! õ_O!

"About the animé nothing is planned so far but maybe in the future the 5th part will be adapted to TV too." (!?)

if this interview was older, I wouldn't worry about this statement....BUT! since it's from the time he was resting from making Stone Ocean......all I can say is: õ_O!

(oh, and I assume IKKI is a nickname related to saint seya....we have a topic about it in "manga/anime discussion;) join usXD)
Gin-Ryu
Evolved Stand

Postby Gin-Ryu » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:30 pm

justajoestar wrote:
O prometido é devido...

woa, IKKI speaks portuguese! õ_O!

He's French and there's a lot of we Portuguese there, although they probably still see us as the stereotipical hairy mustache guys.
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:51 pm

First of all I can't speak no portuguese. I just found that translation of "chose promise, chose dûe" on wikipedia :smt003

And I try as much as possible not to buy into stereotypes.
justajoestar
Soldier of Light

Postby justajoestar » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:04 pm

stereotipical hairy mustache guys.

you kidding me? you have a moustache? you don't own a bakkery?
(childhood ruined;_;)

just kidding^_^ I'll never think of you with moustache if you don't picture me doing the samba on the beach XD :smt005

oh, and IKKI, I hope you don't mind I've changed a little the topic title so people know about the interview^_^
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:37 pm

justajoestar wrote:oh, and IKKI, I hope you don't mind I've changed a little the topic title so people know about the interview^_^

You did well :smt001. I thought I'd do so anyway.

Now people take at look at this guy:

He's a famous french rapper, co-founder of the infamous band NTM (initials for some curse words about your mom litterally) which made its debut in the late 80's.
Now at this point you might wonder why the hell I'm talking you about him. Well thing is his rap name is... Joey Starr!!
HANTXOICHI
Stand Warrior

Postby HANTXOICHI » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:11 am

What the hell has in his mouth? Golden teeths whith letters?
All your JoJo`s are belong to me.
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:56 am

HANTXOICHI wrote:What the hell has in his mouth? Golden teeths whith letters?

:smt003 Yeah!! That's another coincidence!! "NTM" was carved on them! (Somehow he's taken them off now, as he'll be 40 next year)

Araki dancing at a party (shame it's not a vid):

http://kajipon.sakura.ne.jp/art/jojo-araki25.html

Return to “JoJo News/Chit Chats”