Dio and The World, what is he, five?

Let's discuss about the first three chapters of the manga...
pred1059
Newborn

Re: Dio and The World, what is he, five?

Postby pred1059 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:39 pm

chiaotaotzu wrote:That reminds me, I saw this little thing on pixiv some days ago:
by もち: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... id=6344910

In animated form :
original source for animation-http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=30815804

But to actually contribute to the topic. I always saw Dio's minor antics with the world as more intimidation to try to get (or in this case keep) people on his side. It SEEMS childish from a third person point of view. But when time bending antics start to happen, you're too terrified to think about the childish implications. He'll drop the nice act and get downright brutal when it's obvious the mind games won't sway them.

Of course, Dio's always been a brilliant but petty dick. We ARE talking about a guy who burnt a dog when he was 12 to soothe his ego.
shuupadoopdoop
Beginner

Postby shuupadoopdoop » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:29 am

I do think that there is an element of control in there, yeah. But I think DIO also just really loves having power over people and screws with them for his own amusement. Between the man cats and car burgers, DIO does play mind games with people... But not just to keep them loyal. I think it's also because he loves to terrify. He said that he who is without fear stands on top of the world... But while he's protecting his place at the top, he also seems to be having a liiiittle bit too much fun with it.
Image Image
GIJoestar
Stand User

Postby GIJoestar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 pm

shuupadoopdoop wrote:...man cats...

I still want the catbird.
SimonsOps
Newborn

Postby SimonsOps » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Intricategoldfish wrote:Or when he destroys stuff around him, trying to explain to Jotaro what his stand does ( I think this only happens in the anime), did he stop time, break something and the go back to the exact same position he was at before?

I don't know if you remember, but on the CPS3 game, there is a move that Dio can make The World move to the back of the enemy while disappearing.
He launches it and make it disappear. Then, it shows up again on the back of the enemy and then punch.
MetallicKaiser
Made in Heaven

Postby MetallicKaiser » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 pm

shuupadoopdoop wrote:Dio's utter childishness is a big part of why I love the character so much. As said before, he's someone who maintains the illusion of being a distinguished intellectual while hiding an extremely childish, bratty side. While other villains had set goals, until the "heaven" goal was revealed in part 6, Dio only wanted to kill the Joestars so they could stop ruining his fun. He just really, really enjoys screwing with people. While there are some defenses of what he did to Polnareff, no one seems to be mentioning the time he put a cat head in someone's burger for no reason. The cat burger was definite tomfoolery.

The gif on your signature is probably my favorite example of Dio's childish use of time stop. Regarding his "childish nature", you also have to take in the fact that he was just barely out of his teenage years before sinking with Jonathan to the bottom of the ocean. So even if he's a hundred or so years old in Part III, he's really still living out his youth. Staying in a coffin for that long probably made him a bit insane.
ButterflyQueen
Newborn

Postby ButterflyQueen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:52 am

pred1059 wrote:
In animated form :
original source for animation-http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=30815804

This is exatly how I always imagined it and I just laughed in class oh god
Casandraelf
Beginner

Postby Casandraelf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm

This reminds me of a WMG I found on TvTropes related to Yu-Gi-Oh! fan theories, namely that Yami's actions in Season Zero were the result of the worst case of cabin fever ever.

Maybe Dio went nuts during those hundred years he spent submerged and that resulted in him becoming childish/even more childish.

Then again, if I had the power to stop time, I'd totally abuse the hell out of it for dumb reasons...like pantsing the administrators who aren't listening to UTLA, for example.

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 1-2-3”