The Book - JBA 4th Another Day Translation: Done! 8/7/2017

You can bet on it... part 4-5-6 topics here!
Kewl0210
Scarlet Valentine Fetishist

Re: The Book - JBA 4th Another Day Translation: Updated 6/19/17

Postby Kewl0210 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:53 am

Ok, I finished chapter 4, finally. Let's see, chapter 4 as a whole took from February 13th to June 19th. Or June 20th because it's after midnight.
Not too bad. About 4 months and 1 week for 100 pages. Considering the fuckton of other projects I'm doing as I do this, that's pretty impressive.

Ok so for those keeping score at home (And surely there still are people like that, even if this's taken 5 and a half years. Right?) This is what I've got left:
Chapter 5 (Final) [1] (p361-p364)
Chapter 5 (Final) [2] (p365-p376)
Postscript (p378-380)

A 3 page chapter, a 12 page chapter, and the 3-page post script. THAT'S IT. I'm gonna get this done.
Course then I'm gonna edit it, and hopefully get others to help check it over, give opinions, and see if I can improve the translation at all. The beginning, being from 5 and a half years ago, is probably a bit rigid compared to more more recent stuff. But that's just editing in English, which doesn't take too long. And then finally, I'll be all done and ya'll can read this whole The Book.

I recommend listening to the hymns of the Roman Catholic Mass while you're reading it. Fits the theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
LittleMissBliss
Newborn

Re: The Book - JBA 4th Another Day Translation: Updated 6/21/17

Postby LittleMissBliss » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH kewl
You are the Best !! :hopping
Kewl0210

Re: The Book - JBA 4th Another Day Translation: Updated 6/26/17

Postby Kewl0210 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:40 am

Ok, I did it. I made it to the end. Only took 5 and a half years.

Now I'm gonna sleep, and tomorrow I start on editing. I'm hoping that guy from like 4 pages back in this thread comes back. Otherwise I'll see who I can get to help. Editing's waaaaaaaaaaay easier than translating. Shouldn't take too long I'd think.
Rike
Newborn

Postby Rike » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank you very much for your hard work. Can't wait to read now, that it's done.
GioGioGiostar
Newborn

Postby GioGioGiostar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Congrats on finishing, I'm sure it must feel good after so long. If you can't find anyone to help with the editing, I'm definitely here to help if you need it.
Kewl0210

Postby Kewl0210 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:10 am

Yeah so I'm in the process of editing and trying to find anyone experienced in this sorta thing to help out edit. Especially the 1st third which probably has more awkward lines and stuff that doesn't flow as well.

If you want to help me, email me at kewl0210@gmail.com . We're all editing one document using Dropbox.
Kewl0210

Re: The Book - JBA 4th Another Day Translation: Done! 8/7/2017

Postby Kewl0210 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:33 pm

If you guys haven't seen yet, it's all done! (I was gonna post this here yesterday but the forum was down).

I wrote about my whole experience translating the book in this post, as well as in an intro to The Book itself. Enjoy everybody!
http://hiwamatanoboru.com/2017/08/07/th ... otsu-ichi/
Jocachaval
Newborn

Postby Jocachaval » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:18 am

I created an account so I coul thank you for all your hard work and dedication, thanks to you a lot of people will be able to enjoy the book.
Kewl0210

Postby Kewl0210 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks! I hope people take the time to check it out. It's seriously a good book with a compelling plot structure and well constructed characters.
Feel free to discuss your impressions here, all.
jda95
Evolved Stand

Postby jda95 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 pm

A million thanks for this Kewl! So happy to hear that this has been such a passion project for you as well as being a huge benefit for the fandom. Hopefully I get a chance to give this a read soon.
Kewl0210

Postby Kewl0210 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:28 pm

You're welcome!
Oh and please let people know about The Book and the other novels and recommend them to people if you like them. I think most fans probably don't know about them or know if they're worth reading. I highly recommend The Book and most people really like Shameless Purple Haze though I haven't read most of it.

Over Heaven and Jorge Joestar are also translated though they're not as good at the other two. But let people know about them at least so they can check them out if they're interested in what they're about.
Viz also released Araki's Manga Techinique Book which I think they called Manga in Art and Practice in the official release. Also a good book though that's not a novel.
JSJ1031
Newborn

Postby JSJ1031 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am

I have to express my gratitude to you, my friend. You are the pioneer of translating THe Book and you made it to complete the whole book!
I'm a huge jojo fan, part 4 is my favorite part, and of cuz The Book is my no.1 fan novel of jojo series. I bought the real book to support it as well, and I actually though about translating it cuz ever since I came to NA 2 years ago I found no one knowing about this novel. But then I saw you dedicating your heart and time to do this, so I really really appreciated it. And now you finished, I'm sure your effort will have a huge return and your wish, no our wish of letting more and more jojo fans know about The Book will eventually come true.
I really like The Book and Otsuichi's writings. The Book perfectly inherited all basic settings of jojo and every single detail of Morioh Town, but it tells a unique story that is barely jojo-ish. Well it's actually an Otsuichi-ish story. If you know about Otsuichi's works, you'll know the basic styles of his works are thriller and tragedy. His works can be generally categorized as "black" and "white". "Black" means horror and heart-stabbing-ness, "white" means sorrow and emotional torment. Appeantly, The Book is a "white". I really really really feel sorry for Takuma and Chiho that they have that ending. Also, I'm super impressed how the story is developed. There are 3 main storylines: Akari, Takuma, Josuke and his friends. They interlace each other to create and finish the whole story. I really like it. The Book is also the most popular jojo canon in Japan, even jojo's creator Araki gave high credit to it.
Anyway, I just felt like expressing why I love this novel. Also, I saw you mention the motion manga of The Book on YouTube. I made subs for all episodes and uploaded to YouTube several months ago. So feel free to take a look. Here's the link of epi 1: https://youtu.be/0Y9YuTfL91s
Again, thank you very very very much for translating The Book!
Kewl0210

Postby Kewl0210 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Yeah, I saw that Youtube channel a while back. If anything gets more word out about this book, I'm happy about it. I really loved working on it and I always got frustrated when I had to stop for a long time. I feel like people check things out the most when they're new, and this hasn't been new for a while now. It got released around a decade after it was published now.

The guys who do the Jojo's Bizarre Fandub and some people who work in my group to scanlate JoJolion are gonna try to do a sorta audiobook of my translation of The Book. I hope it works out and they're able to do it, I think that might get more people into the story. Hopefully. Please let people know about it because honestly I think it's a great story even if it weren't about Jojo. Purely the concept of The Book on its own makes for a really cool sci-fi-ish ability. But the great mystery and drama and characters on top of that really made this thing great.

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 4-5-6”