It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 My new Part 4 Scans 
Beginner

Post My new Part 4 Scans
Hello I'm back after a very long break.

I was just pondering for a moment. "Should I use all my free time to contribute to the Jojo-fanbase and make a NEW SEXY PART 4 SCAN???

Part of me said, "HELL YEAH!" While the lazier side of me said "Screw that!".

Well, I haven't fully decided but here are parts of my scan that I have made so far:
WARNING, they are hella huge:

Sexier, higher-resolution scan here (Only three pages so far though):
http://www.mediafire.com/?tmnhgkmcdz1

So it'll be great if people could tell me how they are.

Notes: These are the VERY FIRST SCANS I HAVE EVERY DONE IN MY FRIGGIN' LIFE. My editing skills aren't great and I don't have that many good fonts. (I use Adobe Flash to edit these)

My Japanese stinks as well. I had to use a dictionary most of the time and had to ask of all people, MY MOTHER. GAH. (She's fluent in it)

EDIT:
I re-did page eight, so here it is:

I personally find the font kind of meh-ish and my editing isn't as professional as some other scanners.

EDIT 2:

Last edited by myrstidal on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:44 am
Made in Heaven

Post Re: My new Part 4 Scans
For someone who had never scanned before, you did an incredible job. The pictures are very clear and the words look like one of the big online groups who care about good scans did it.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:03 pm
Beginner

Thanks a bunch!

I started on volume 33 since it has my favourite part of Part 4, as Okuyasu's dialogue and expressions are great, I'll love to edit his ”ンまああああああいいいいいいい~!!!” 's (That's YYYUUUUUUUUM!!! to all you 外人 out there.)

If you noticed, I skipped out some pages. (The contents, Jojo family tree, summary, contents and map of DUWANG) Because this was my first editing job, I did not know how to edit out cramped up, text on background parts. Plus the summary had TONS of Japanese on it, so I was too lazy to translate that. When I get around to doing ALL of part 4,
And maybe, JUST MAYBE Part 3-5
I'll try to translate that.

I found Araki's little "memo" on the volume cover EXTREMELY moe. I also didn't translate the entire thing. Embarrassingly enough, I asked my MOTHER to translate it for me. I'll probably change the font for it though, as I don't like it.

On another note, I need a name for the scan-team, (Actually, I'm pretty much the only person on the so called "Team") any suggestions my forum-goers?

Edit:
"Kira Scans", hmm? Not bad. But I'll think about it. (I was thinking of something that contained the word "Bob". (I don't know why, I just have an obsession with the name "Bob. I demand the next Jojo is named Bob!!! Or-- err, "Job"?)

Edit Part 2:
So TWO people want the name "Kira Scans", huh? I need more opinions before naming my new one-man scan team!

Last edited by myrstidal on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:17 pm
Stand Warrior

I want Kira Scans too

Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:48 pm
Stand User

Kira scans ;D

Great job, i've done some editing before and it is just time consuming. :) So good luck sir

There's a shark in my soup! Aerosmith!! Pew pew pew pew

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:39 pm
Made in Heaven

There are BEAUTIFUL. Really, major thumbs up. But isn't there already a group doing part 4 rescans? Not to be a jerk, but wouldn't it make sense to work at a different part that needs retranslating like 5 ( I saw you mention wanting to do it in another thread )? Or work with the people doing the current part 4 scans? I could only see cool things coming from it (:

:yeah

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Beginner

JacobForThePhail wrote:
There are BEAUTIFUL. Really, major thumbs up. But isn't there already a group doing part 4 rescans? Not to be a jerk, but wouldn't it make sense to work at a different part that needs retranslating like 5 ( I saw you mention wanting to do it in another thread )? Or work with the people doing the current part 4 scans? I could only see cool things coming from it (:

:yeah

I don't really know the dude's/dudette's who are responsible for the new Part 4 scans, and I doubt they would want some bub like me slowing them down. Besides, I haven't heard from them in a while.

I hope I'm not offending them by starting a new scan.

And besides, this re-scan isn't OFFICIAL. Yet.

AND PEOPLES I NEED OPINIONS DID I DO THE GETTING RID OF TEXT OVER BACKGROUNDS CORRECTLY OH MAN MY TRANSLATIONS SUCK AND THE CHARACTERS DON'T TALK LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO OH NO.

Sorry, first-time-scanner-fright.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:00 pm
Stand Warrior

I'm pretty new so my words won't count that much anyway, but:
Afaik the part 4 team (The Invincible Trio) is slow but steady. One of them is Potato Kujo, maybe pm him? They already have at least one volume in their re-scan project, that was done by another person - so I'm sure they are rather grateful than bitchy for more persons who care (though I can't really speak for them of course).

Or maybe you can make an arrangement so that both of you always work on different volumes. Wouldn't that be the solution?
Because I always always always wonder, why e.g. Franky House needs to do a scanlation of OP/Naruto/Bleach, if there is already one by Jimbei, maximum7, sugooi and so on. Just what for?
On the other hand its very nice to see that the seinen-manga scangroups kind of work together and that there is very few double scanlating (exceptions may be Berserk or Gantz). If a faster and better group B picks something up, great, then either group A drops it, focusing on other stuff or they merge to one scangroup. (yeah, part 4 was in WSJ, meh anyway)
I can only speak for myself, but I'm completely satisfied with the deduwangization made by The Trio, and since I know they're on it, I can wait. So why the double effort. Even more, when the scans of part 3 for example are screaming for better quality. (I get the thing that part 4 is your favorite, though ;))
Uhm, yeah sorry for this excursus but that's how I think it is.

Still, if you really want to do it all on your own:
I would recommend you using photoshop. If you get used to the basics and some basic shortcuts it can be very convenient, noone talks about diving too deep in this huge program. The font you're using is "wild words", isn't it? Thats cool imo, its kind of a standard, so I'd leave it that way. And your pics are too big, your volume would be ~260Mb now, try for ~80Mb. So, and I bet a professional scanlator could give you tons of advises but meh, compared to the duwang-version it's already as different as chalk and cheese.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:20 pm
Beginner

Cailon wrote:
I'm pretty new so my words...

Thanks a lot for all the advice!

It's nice to know that we here can stick together. With all of us, we can go though anything!

But yes, I think I'll PM him and ask him if I can contribute any volume.

Also (Not actual pages but rather stuff I scanned):

URGGH STAYED UP ALL NIGHT SO I COULD DO THESE GOD THEY TAKE FOREVER UGH FLASH SUCKS I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY:

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:31 pm
Stand User

Sup myrstidal-- Freshy here, resident translator extraordinaire :yukako

I'm part of the Part 4 rescan group, and I don't know what's really going on with the editing and stuff at this point, but I already have the first few chapters of this volume done and saved. I think, as for the translations, it would be best if we had a consistent voice running throughout?
Maybe you can PM Potatokujo and see who's editing, and if there's no one on board, you can help edit? More input is always better than none.

But really, we're getting things patched up as we speak-- we've been doing things a volume at a time, so that's why it might seem slower than if we did chapters. I don't know who's doing what, but I think our group has a good thing going :dio

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:48 pm
Beginner

Freshy wrote:
Sup myrstidal-- Freshy here, resident translator extraordinaire :yukako ...

Wow, you've been running in the background? Maybe it'll be better to leave it to the pros!

Yeah, I don't think my contribution would help that much. Maybe I can do some cleaning of RAWs or something.

If I did an individual project, I think I'll do Part 3.

I'll PM Potatokujo some time later, I just REALLY NEED SLEEP AT THE MOMENT UGH.

But thank you for the response. I'd just like to use my time to contribute to the Jojo community.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:35 pm
Stand User

myrstidal wrote:
Freshy wrote:
Sup myrstidal-- Freshy here, resident translator extraordinaire :yukako ...

Wow, you've been running in the background? Maybe it'll be better to leave it to the pros!

Yeah, I don't think my contribution would help that much. Maybe I can do some cleaning of RAWs or something.

If I did an individual project, I think I'll do Part 3.

I'll PM Potatokujo some time later, I just REALLY NEED SLEEP AT THE MOMENT UGH.

But thank you for the response. I'd just like to use my time to contribute to the Jojo community.

Haha, I'm nothing special, really- just someone with time who happens to be dork enough :dance2
And no no, your contribution is really awesome! I think it's great that you're using your time to do something for the fandom.
And if you ever decide to do something individually, if you need proofreaders or typesetters, I can do either. Editing the whole thing must be tough and time-consuming, and we all have lives; so don't feel bad asking for help. :D

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:03 pm
Beginner

Made a few more. (Actually just two)

I'm actually using Photoshop now and the sizes aren't that monstrously huge. I'm getting better time too, so hopefully I can actually start re-doing them. Here I am, talking out my ass!

Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:11 am
Newborn

Hi

My name is Skarlath and I'm currently doing the chapter you seem to be doing. I'm not gonna lie, you seem to be doing okay, except for your erasing technique which is not great. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, it is just not that great. You are just erasing and not doing anything. You need to redraw some stuff in. For example

yours

mine

honestly this is the hardest part, and I've always been ridiculously critical of these and I have to stop halfway through or I would never finish. For example I've been working on that huge map for at least 4 hours and I'm probably about halfway done...

This is the kind of process that you just need to keep at and you'll get better at.

PotatoKujo is running the show though, so talk to him. But honestly I'd rather see you try to tackle Part 3, since as far as I know, that is not even being touched

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:49 am
Beginner

skarlath wrote:
...This is the kind of process that you just need to keep at and you'll get better at...

Wow, that is a pretty good edit! I just started this whole cleaning thing and I'm obviously inferior to you in skill. I did contact PotatoKujo, but he hasn't replied yet. (I'm expecting a "No")

Maybe this thing isn't for me. It's just one big pipe-dream. :doppio

But if I can get my skills up and get a bit better, I may try again. I'll probably do a Part 3 scan. I'll leave Part 4 up to you pros! I just wanted to do Part 4 since it's my favourite part.

Stardust Crusaders IS pretty epic though.

THIS ISN'T THE LAST YOU HEARD OF ME! NWE HE HE HE HE.

But unfortunately, my Part 4 scans have been officially dropped.

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:06 pm
Newborn

I recomened checking out the series You Suck at Photoshop

they're not all applicable but they are pretty handy, kinda fast and fairly entertaining

2 and 3 are some of the best ones for redrawing but others one are helpful as well

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm
Stand Warrior

Hey man I just got your pm so I'll reply to you here instead.

First off, don't worry about my being offended by you starting your own biz, it's not like I own the monopoly of JoJo Scanlation or something. Plus I could never hate someone who has a Mother 3 avatar.

But yeah without trying to sound like an elitist asshat here at Invincible Trio Inc.(though honestly we're pretty much a quintet now, with Freshy as our translator, Me as as the manager/Proofreader/part-time editor with Skarlath, Phangry and SUPER MYSTERY PERSON as our main editing force) we have some kind of "quality standards" and well, if you wanna be part of the editing team knowing how to re-draw is kind of indispensable now. I was gonna say that if you'd be willing to invest some extra time to redraw stuff then I would've accepted your help with open arms, but now you seem to have dropped your project in favor of Part 3, so I wish you luck for that instead. You might not have to do it alone though, because wasn't DevilKingBaal or whatever his name was working on Part 3 already? As far as I know he worked alone as well also so maybe you two could team up? Just throwing that out there.

Also don't be so hard on yourself, everyone has to start somewhere.(I just started properly using photoshop a couple months ago, orz) When it was just me and Skarlath working on volume 36(Man that brings back memories you have no idea) we messed up on plenty of things but we've improved a whole lot since then so keep persevering and I'm positive you'll whip us up a brand-spanking new Part 3 in no time! :josuke

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Made in Heaven

Chiming in here with how you get a LOT better at redrawing.

I started out with redrawing on Stone Ocean, and it was really hard and took me a while to get the hang of it. Now, on SBR, I don't just redraw the chapter text, I handle most of my own pagejoins. Like turning this into this. And considering I use a five year old iMac with outdated photoshop and a goddamn optical mouse (no trackpad), if I can learn, so can anybody!

Take a bunch of time and go through this. It's pretty much my scanlation bible. Also feel free to bother me (my AIM is fully listed) at any point if you want to discuss scanlation tips. There's no point in having useful knowledge and not sharing it!

"I mean, c'mon! you're a cosplayer! you dress up as cartoon characters for fun! You pretend to be a 15 year old half italian half japanese mobster on the weekends! this shit is not serious!"
-OutlawWolf

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Newborn

Are there pages for these projects?

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:49 pm
Made in Heaven

The Invincible Trio part 4 scans are here.

I just whipped up a JoJo Project status blog here.

"I mean, c'mon! you're a cosplayer! you dress up as cartoon characters for fun! You pretend to be a 15 year old half italian half japanese mobster on the weekends! this shit is not serious!"
-OutlawWolf

Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next