So... where on earth DID Duwang come from?

You can bet on it... part 4-5-6 topics here!
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

So... where on earth DID Duwang come from?

Postby Hanyaan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:23 pm

We all know about the glory that is DUWANG.

However, something I've never been able to figure out: where did those scans come from?

I've heard tons of stories. They all imply that whoever did it was a native Chinese speaker, not a native English speaker, but where the person was from or when these were made varies wildly.

Does anybody know anything concrete about the person who another place I post fondly calls "Mr Chinese English Student" who loved JoJo enough to translate it despite not being very good at English?

"I mean, c'mon! you're a cosplayer! you dress up as cartoon characters for fun! You pretend to be a 15 year old half italian half japanese mobster on the weekends! this shit is not serious!"
-OutlawWolf
Reimi
Evolved Stand

Re: So... where on earth DID Duwang come from?

Postby Reimi » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:50 pm

I think we've all wondered about this, haha. I'm very curious to know if there's actually a story behind it...there must be. Either way, I'm grateful for Duwang. It made Part Four strangely charming.
Kaiser Mazoku
Made in Heaven

Postby Kaiser Mazoku » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Maybe it was all one big joke
Kid, you look like you're ready to take on The World!
Skippyandjif
Made in Heaven

Postby Skippyandjif » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Perhaps it came from the same planet as Mikitaka.
Kewl0210
Scarlet Valentine Fetishist

Postby Kewl0210 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Those scanlations are all translated from the OFFICIAL Chinese versions of Jojo.
They publish Shounen Jump in Chinese also. Just a few weeks (months?) after the Japanese version when it's translated. They're all from the Chinese licensed versions. You can tell by how stuff like the Jojo's bizarre adventure logo and stuff they didn't translate are all in chinese. The guy didn't reference the Japanese at all when he was translating that stuff, maybe didn't know how they're supposed to be pronounced. The Chinese version probably used the same kanji characters as the Japanese version with regards to names, but are pronounced differently.

As for the guy... it's a dead scanlation group from a few years back, isn't it? Vjp, Veggie's Jojo page?
http://www.mangaupdates.com/groups.html?id=168
The site doesn't exist anymore. But using archive.org's way-back-macine you can see copies of it:.
http://web.archive.org/web/200712310634 ... ltage.net/

You can look at it at other dates, too, until the guy stopped. The guy's full screenname was VeggieH8R.
From the quality of those scans, you could tell he was doing it by himself, more or less. Maybe got an editor at some point.
Last edited by Kewl0210 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 pm

If I remember well Nameless (Nameless_One) did most of the translation but didn't get to start translating Part 4. He and Veggie are members of this forum.
PatitoGigante
Stand User

Postby PatitoGigante » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

I enjoy the virtuosic cussing in Duwang. It's like the translator learned english by watching Glengarry Glen Ross.
Cailon
Stand Warrior

Postby Cailon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Whoa nice to see all this. Since I didn't get into JoJo before late 2009, most of this is new to me. Time for a JJBA-scans history lesson, anyone of the old members? :deigo2

Anyway, Duwang is really love, isn't it? Just one guy seemingly, who probably knew all too well that it wasn't the best quality, pulling through the whole of part 4 nonetheless, to make it accessible for english readers. I admire this perseverance somehow. But it's also good to know that a second edition-Scanlation of part 4 is underway with the Invincible Trio :)
Gio Gio Star
Made in Heaven

Postby Gio Gio Star » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:53 pm

I remember hearing the story that it was just a group of Chinese students that translated Part 4 for a project for an English class... From what I was told, they almost failed the project becuase of the translations.
TRU FAX
blind51de
Made in Heaven

Postby blind51de » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Double-translating always ends in tears. Especially if the median-language is Chinese.
The worst of it is pretty much when they use a translation engine and just copypaste the proper names over.
http://spwsubs.blog.fc2.com/
柱柱‥ご存じ柱?
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Postby Hanyaan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 pm

blind51de wrote:Double-translating always ends in tears. Especially if the median-language is Chinese.
The worst of it is pretty much when they use a translation engine and just copypaste the proper names over.

my nam is Guanglai Kangyi

"I mean, c'mon! you're a cosplayer! you dress up as cartoon characters for fun! You pretend to be a 15 year old half italian half japanese mobster on the weekends! this shit is not serious!"
-OutlawWolf
Kaiser Mazoku
Made in Heaven

Postby Kaiser Mazoku » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Gio Gio Star wrote:I remember hearing the story that it was just a group of Chinese students that translated Part 4 for a project for an English class... From what I was told, they almost failed the project becuase of the translations.

Awww :(
Kid, you look like you're ready to take on The World!
RyoFlame

Postby RyoFlame » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 am

Kind of reminds me of English subtitles you get on bootleg DVDs, those are the same, translated from the Chinese subtitles... and thus they are hilarious and lulzy.

Well, up until they're so ridiculous you actually can't follow what's going on.
blind51de
Made in Heaven

Postby blind51de » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:10 am

RyoFlame wrote:Kind of reminds me of English subtitles you get on bootleg DVDs, those are the same, translated from the Chinese subtitles... and thus they are hilarious and lulzy.

Well, up until they're so ridiculous you actually can't follow what's going on.

Pretty much.
I bought a set of YYH bootlegs years ago. What they'd done was copypaste Hiei and Kurama's names into the wrong place. So the entire series had the names mixed up. The entire series.
But interestingly the translation engine they'd used, or whatever, had these really archaic British-English terms in them (since all bootlegs come from HK, which was British for a long time). They were really unique. I should rewatch the damn things one of these days and write them all down.

DUWANG though, well, there's just awful grammar.
http://spwsubs.blog.fc2.com/
柱柱‥ご存じ柱?
Killer Queen
Made in Heaven

Postby Killer Queen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 am

DUWANG is the Backstroke of the West of manga scanslations.
JohnnyisanAmerican
Stand User

Postby JohnnyisanAmerican » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Skippyandjif wrote:Perhaps it came from the same planet as Mikitaka.

:grin

In that it is surprisingly funny even though it was was an attempt at being serious, and also tasty like ice cream? <:9

I'm afraid of Americans, I'm afraid of Za Warudo, I'm afraid I can't help it, I'm afraid I can't... Johnny's An American Uh-uh-uh uh, uh, uh-uh uh-uh-uh
The Vinny Mac
Stand User

Postby The Vinny Mac » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:59 pm

I posted this in another thread but here's my best explanation to where Duwang came from.

I was one of the guys who worked on a few chapters of Part 1, Part 2, and Steel Ball Run with Ignition-One. Originally I found about Jojo via the anime which was posted on a forum I frequented, found a link to the original Part 3 translation on the Higher Voltage forum, and then decided I would try and help out by translating one of the chapters. Some of the people at Higher Voltage wanted to do as much Jojo as possible so they started dividing up the parts. I picked Part 4 since no one else really chose it. Nothing really came from the other parts except maybe the translations of Part 5 (maybe, it's been a long time).

Anyway, I bought a bunch of books, scanned them, and tried to get the creator of the website DBZ Uncensored (if you're familiar) to help me. He did a few pages and flaked so I began posting everywhere for help with translating. Nothing really came of it until I got an IM on AIM from a person who said he knew a guy who would do it. I offered to send him my scans but he said it wasn't necessary and this guy had everything he would need.

I didn't think much of it since the guy wouldn't let me talk to him directly and the first guy dropped off the face of the earth. Lo and behold, a few weeks later that guy gets online and sends me a .rar of the entire first volume.

I remember being pretty blown away that he actually came through. I was less than impressed by the quality of the scans, editing, and translation but I figured it was better than nothing so what the hell. I remember giving pointers on what was supposed to be what. I distinctly remember telling the middleman for this guy that "Duwang" was supposed to be Morioh. The middleman explained to me this guy was translating from the Chinese version so that's probably where the confusion came from. He was hesitant about giving the guy advice on how to translate at all since A) obviously the guy's first language wasn't English and he didn't want to miscommunicate and offend him and B) the pace he was outputting these were insane.

I literally would get 5 or 6 volumes a week from this guy whenever I would sign on AIM randomly. I mean Jojo Part 4 was the longest part (before Steel Ball Run) and this guy completed in maybe a month. I mean, the quality was shit, but again one guy was doing it all by himself. I offered to just take his translations and paste them on the page (while cleaning up the broken English unbeknownst to him) but I remember the middleman telling me it was easier for him to translate.

It's probably for the best because apparently there's a mini-fan culture around the already tiny Jojo translation that likes how terrible the translation was at times.
ASailorsJoe
Stand User

Postby ASailorsJoe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:06 am

And Thus Spoke Vinny Mac and his WANG.
phoenixone
Evolved Stand

Postby phoenixone » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:06 pm

ASailorsJoe wrote:And Thus Spoke Vinny Mac and his WANG.

I do not know nothing about this DUWANG! Has some char name been translated like this in the english version of Jojo?? :rohan
"I am now a new creature that cuts open the future..."
Jfreekao

Postby Jfreekao » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 pm

The English translation of Part 4 is notorious for being downright terrible. It's full of bad grammar and untranslated strings of Chinese (the raws used were the official Chinese versions, as Kewl stated), and some of the character names were even mistranslated. It's dubbed "the Duwang translation" because the translator misread "Morioh-cho" as "Duwang" and translated it as such.
Follow me on:
Tumblr - Twitter

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 4-5-6”