Is Bruno Part V's [i]real[/i] protagonist?

You can bet on it... part 4-5-6 topics here!
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Re: Is Bruno Part V's [i]real[/i] protagonist?

Postby Nabu-san » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:26 pm

You know that's Araki's idea of a shonen protagonist is a character kids will look up to, not identify with. Ain't no wimpy little kid gonna be a Jojo (save Jonathan but he got better).
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
Gee Bone
Made in Heaven

Postby Gee Bone » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:29 pm

But Koichi, and even Rohan! They had so many chapters dedicated to them. I just hope if it's animated, they can give Josuke and Okuyasu more development.
“HANDLE ENOUGH BALLS AND EVENTUALLY YOU'll GET THE MONEY SHOT” “GET IT?” “BALLS?”
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Postby Kira Kira » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:10 pm

Nabu-san wrote:I think it's understandable that Joseph doesn't use Hermit Purple, you wouldn't want an old man to break his hand karate chopping another camera.

Except Joseph's able to use Hermit Purple just by putting his hands on a TV (not to mention the whole reason Jotaro came to Morioh in the first place was that Hermit Purple had produced a photo of Aqua Necklace when Joseph was just trying to take a picture of Jousuke)...

I think Araki either forgot about Joseph's Stand power or realised that he'd written himself into another corner and just decided to ignore the issue because that'd spoil the murder mystery...

Personally, I would've still been fine if they showed at least one scene of Joseph using his Stand in an attempt to locate Kira, but only got something vague back (like when Joseph took a picture of Dio, but didn't know where he was until Star Platinum's eyes zoomed in on the fly and Avdol knew where the fly was native).
"The patterned juggler lifts his hand; the orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel, in the Court of the Crimson King."
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Postby Nabu-san » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Well Joseph never had anything really useful either for his spirit photos and the TV, what he sees is random and obscure. Moreover Joseph would be put in danger because of his power, it's safer for him not to be involved.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Postby Kira Kira » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Nabu-san wrote:Well Joseph never had anything really useful either for his spirit photos and the TV, what he sees is random and obscure. Moreover Joseph would be put in danger because of his power, it's safer for him not to be involved.

Yeah, most of the time. But, in Part 3, it did at least manage to tell Joseph and Avdol to watch out for "Kakyouin" (even though it was actually Rubber Soul disguising himself as Kakyouin, but you get the point).

And Kira or his father wouldn't even have known Joseph was involved if he just took a quick photo. I mean, Rohan and the others seemed pretty desperate for leads.

I guess I can just presume that Joseph used his Stand to try and find Kira at least once, but it didn't produce any substantial clues. Or, perhaps, one of the photos that Rohan was carrying out of people that could be Kira came from Joseph's Hermit Purple.
"The patterned juggler lifts his hand; the orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel, in the Court of the Crimson King."
ColonelMagenta943
Stand Requiem

Postby ColonelMagenta943 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:32 am

Bruno was simply a great character.
"It's all in the game" Omar Little
"I'd rather betray the world, then let the world betray me" Cao Cao
thysania agrippina
Newborn

Postby thysania agrippina » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:29 pm

SaintKrimz wrote:This is what pissed me off about that Part. What was Araki thinking?

I imagine he just had more affinity for Koichi. which baffles me personally (koichi is quite possibly my least favorite main-ish character). But at the same time, I think Araki's smart enough to recognize that the protagonist can be interesting and compelling but often needs to be bolstered by equally dynamic side characters. The trick is just finding a balance so your sidekick doesn't completely overshadow your protagonist, I guess.

My question is really whether or not the translation is what makes it seem like Giorno is flat/far less interesting. I probably try to oversell Part V a bit in spite of its flaws because I think there's something really great there that just doesn't quite come across in the translation, so you're forced to use a lot of imagination. As the updated translation progresses, it seems like characters are becoming a little more distinct and interesting... so I sort of wonder whether Giorno will fare better eventually in that regard and maybe it will seem a little bit less like the Bruno show. But Bruno's fights are pretty awesome so maybe that's easier said than done.
Gee Bone
Made in Heaven

Postby Gee Bone » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 pm

Nice theory. But anyway, like I said, Giorno is the protagonist, while Bruno is the hero.
“HANDLE ENOUGH BALLS AND EVENTUALLY YOU'll GET THE MONEY SHOT” “GET IT?” “BALLS?”
ColonelMagenta943
Stand Requiem

Postby ColonelMagenta943 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:06 pm

He was certainly more interesting and entertaining to read compared to Giorno, that's for sure.

I felt Giorno was a poorly written character that Araki failed to capitalise on some of the existing plot threads such as his lineage. (Then again Golden Wind itself was poorly written).
"It's all in the game" Omar Little
"I'd rather betray the world, then let the world betray me" Cao Cao
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Postby Nabu-san » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Opinions.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
OneGamer2EnvyThemAll
Stand User

Postby OneGamer2EnvyThemAll » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:24 am

I know this is an old thread that might as well have been archived months ago, but I can't help but add my two-cents.

Looking at Part 5 again, new translations in mind, Bruno participates in fewer fights than Giorno, and a majority of the rest of the gang's battles have had them assisted by Giorno only (Fugo vs Illuso, Mista vs Ghiaccio, Narancia vs S&T, Trish vs Notorious BIG; Abbacchio doesn't want to accept the fact that he would have been defeated by Illuso if Giorno hadn't done something).

Yes, while Bruno gets some of the coolest fights, is more "open-mouth" with more internal monologue in those confrontations (creating the illusion that he is more involved), and is the one that the story focused on when introducing Diavolo, those aforementioned fights were very few and far in-between, and the whole point of him going to meet the main antagonist himself, aside from his backstory and characterization, was so he could get brutalized (let's not forget that he would have been curb-stomped almost instantly if the Giorno+Coco Jumbo Combo didn't stall Diavolo long enough for him to strategize).

The whole point of Giorno as a character is that, while a support role and not in the forefront for what some would say is too many fights, many fail to realize how many bad situations that the rest of the protagonist team would not have come out of alive without him. Narancia explicitly refers to Giorno as a sole source of hope going against the boss, and both Mista and him canonically accept Giorno as a better leader figure than Bruno. Trish wouldn't have even fully awakened her Stand had she not imposed on herself the objective of restoring Giorno's hand (something he even set up himself).

The way I see it, if Giorno and Bruno's roles were switched (save their backstories and involvement with the gang), with Bruno being the main character, everyone in the fandom would be saying "Oh yeah, Giorno was definitely the real main protagonist of Part 5" because of how much more involved he is in every single fight than the leader of the protag gang himself. There are only four fights in the entirety of Vento Aureo that Giorno didn't actively influence the outcome of; Mista vs Sale, Narancia vs Formaggio, Bruno & Mista vs Prosciutto & Pesci, and of course, Doppio vs Risotto. That's a smaller number than some parts with their main protagonists, including SDC and DIU. Counting that against the large amount of fights in Part 5, that makes an even smaller percentage; I can only think of Phantom Blood, where Jonathan was in every fight, and Battle Tendency, where Joseph was in all but two fights (hardly can count Lisa Lisa vs Kars as a fight, though)
Coming Soon:
Divine Punishment
Not-So-Magical
The Doll Shop Maiden
The King's Wives
Super Fly
Stand Warrior

Postby Super Fly » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:53 am

I kind of always thought this was like an in-fandom joke type of thing
Have a toast, down a cup.
Drink to bones that turn to dust.
Creissonino
Made in Heaven

Postby Creissonino » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Super Fly wrote:I kind of always thought this was like an in-fandom joke type of thing

But it is. And it doesn't mean that isn't true. The same goes to "Gyro Best JoJo".
Super Fly
Stand Warrior

Postby Super Fly » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:57 am

Creissonino wrote:
Super Fly wrote:I kind of always thought this was like an in-fandom joke type of thing

But it is. And it doesn't mean that isn't true. The same goes to "Gyro Best JoJo".
It really isn't true, though. Like the poster above said about Giorno, and that goes even more for Josuke. Koichi doesn't have much real spot-light after his encounter with Kira, and as involved and important as Rohan is, Josuke is the one most arcs are still about.
Even if supporting characters become heavily involved, it doesn't suddenly shoe-horn them in as the main protagonist. Every main character in Jojo has their main plot pushed forward by supporting characters who have their own motivations, with fates that just intersect with a Joestar's.
Have a toast, down a cup.
Drink to bones that turn to dust.
OneGamer2EnvyThemAll
Stand User

Postby OneGamer2EnvyThemAll » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:09 am

I've seen the 4chan JoJo fandom, and they love to casually throw Part 5, especially Giorno (and Diavolo, but that's a multi-paragraph reply for another time) under the bus.

One (ableist) post has a "Jotaro is objectively best JoJo" while the other JoJos are "*autistic screaming*" (with the exception of Johnny, who's "*crippled screaming*"), and instead of Giorno's head edited onto one of the figures, it's Bruno. OP and subsequent replies make no comment or mention of that fact.
Not even 2 minutes later, I stumble a brain size comparison chart of the "feels" faces that say "X is the JoJo that actually earned their happy moments" with increasingly exaggerated brain sizes, up to Joseph, who's just a brain in the shape of a life-size man and woman having sex on a bed. And guess what? The only non-oversized brain is the one for Giorno, whom has Luca's shovel dent and a cross-eyed smile.

The general consensus seems to be that Part 5 is practically an abomination and that people genuinely believe Bruno to be the main and more involved character, not as part of some joke poking fun at his role vs Giorno's in the story, but literally the more accomplished in the narrative. It maybe an ironic joke here in the forums, but absolutely not in other JoJo-based communities.
Coming Soon:
Divine Punishment
Not-So-Magical
The Doll Shop Maiden
The King's Wives

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 4-5-6”