Highway Star: automatic or long-range Stand?

You can bet on it... part 4-5-6 topics here!
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Highway Star: automatic or long-range Stand?

Postby Kira Kira » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Just as the title says: is Highway Star, the Stand of Fungami Yuuya in Part 4, an automatic Stand or a long-range Stand? Because, from its introduction, it appears to have all the characteristics of an automatic Stand (e.g. Black Sabbath, Yo-Yo Ma); it's triggered by specific conditions, can't do much more than relentlessly track a person once they've acquired their scent, and Jousuke even calls it an "independent Stand" when musing on how easy it is to trap (albeit momentarily).

But we hear Fungami apparently speaking through the Stand (something I don't believe we've ever seen before with automatic Stands, who tend to have their own personalities and, when they do speak, it's mostly just the same thing over and over again) when he's encouraging Rohan to lure Jousuke in, and later seems to be controlled directly when he tries to ambush Jousuke from under the bed and, later, when he and Jousuke fight Enigma.

I'm leaning towards it simply being a regular Stand operated at a remote distance (e.g. Hierophant Green), and that it only appears to be autonomous because - as per the Stand rules Araki established in Part 3 - it loses precision and resorts to following by scent rather than the user's conscious control, due to being so far away from the user, who'd received his Stand not long prior to the events in the story and was only gradually recovering his health in hospital. But I'm not 100% sure. We've never seen it take damage either (it'd be pretty hard to anyway, as it can just split itself up and 'warp' across places), which would be a fairly reliable way to ascertain what type of Stand it is.

What are your thoughts?
"The patterned juggler lifts his hand; the orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel, in the Court of the Crimson King."
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Re: Highway Star: automatic or long-range Stand?

Postby Nabu-san » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:55 pm

In many cases, Araki's own sets of rules about Stands are more a loose guideline than proper rules.
That is one.
So it's both, depending on when Yuya is.
Or Highway Star could be an automatic stand which can be controlled nonetheless.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
Joker
Evolved Stand

Postby Joker » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:20 pm

IIRC, Norisuke has a long ranged Stand that can be set to an automatic mode.

So I guess Highway Star is the same way. I don't recall there being anything that prevents Stands from being multiple "types".
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Postby Kira Kira » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:25 pm

Yeah, that's true. I mean, in Part 5, Baby Face is labeled as both a power-type and an automatic-type Stand.

It makes me wonder just how many long-range Stands can be 'set to automatic' by their user...
"The patterned juggler lifts his hand; the orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel, in the Court of the Crimson King."

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 4-5-6”