Re-retrieving Memory Disk grants Stand User a Stand Upgrade?

You can bet on it... part 4-5-6 topics here!
Banjo Jonochi
Stand Warrior

Re-retrieving Memory Disk grants Stand User a Stand Upgrade?

Postby Banjo Jonochi » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:33 am

I just realized something about Part 6. When Jotaro got back his Memory Disk, his stand upgraded to Star Platinum: The World, and when Weather Report got his lost memories back from Versace giving his Memory Disk back, he acquired Heavy Weather. Unless Weather Report already had Heavy Weather before Pucci took his Memory Disk.
Joshua Davis: Especially when it's ******' JustKeepThatInMind, the dude does rants about bird **** and trees! How the **** can you take the man's words seriously!
Juice Fan: Betcha didn't know that?! That is why I am the ultimate Darknessthecurse FANBOY!
frankzappa
Made in Heaven

Re: Re-retrieving Memory Disk grants Stand User a Stand Upgr

Postby frankzappa » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:24 am

yeah both those people already had those stands.
ImageImageImage
MetallicKaiser
Made in Heaven

Postby MetallicKaiser » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Yeah, it was called Star Platinum: The World since part 4, and Heavy Weather was already WP's stand before he lost his memories.
Banjo Jonochi
Stand Warrior

Postby Banjo Jonochi » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:33 pm

I had a feeling that Weather Report had Heavy Weather before Pucci stole his Memory Disk, but where in Part 4 did it state that Jotaro had Star Platinum: The World?
The only mention of Star Platinum: The World that I could recall, was in a stat page in the chapter after Jotaro got his Memory Disk back.
But seriously though, I thought I was onto something that nobody realized yet.
Joshua Davis: Especially when it's ******' JustKeepThatInMind, the dude does rants about bird **** and trees! How the **** can you take the man's words seriously!
Juice Fan: Betcha didn't know that?! That is why I am the ultimate Darknessthecurse FANBOY!
Kyojo777
Made in Heaven

Postby Kyojo777 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Banjo Jonochi wrote:I had a feeling that Weather Report had Heavy Weather before Pucci stole his Memory Disk, but where in Part 4 did it state that Jotaro had Star Platinum: The World?
The only mention of Star Platinum: The World that I could recall, was in a stat page in the chapter after Jotaro got his Memory Disk back.
But seriously though, I thought I was onto something that nobody realized yet.

Nope, Jotaro calls it that in the Ratt fight.
Last edited by Kyojo777 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the spiritual successor to the 7th Stand User, approved by Clayman herself, here: http://7su2.tumblr.com
sephiroth112688
Stand Warrior

Postby sephiroth112688 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:51 pm

I always based it on the slight change in design though that may not be the best method. I believe he did call it Star Platinum The World in Part IV at some point.
US PSN: Sephiroth112688
Kyojo777
Made in Heaven

Postby Kyojo777 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:54 pm

sephiroth112688 wrote:I always based it on the slight change in design though that may not be the best method. I believe he did call it Star Platinum The World in Part IV at some point.

He does.
Check out the spiritual successor to the 7th Stand User, approved by Clayman herself, here: http://7su2.tumblr.com
blind51de
Made in Heaven

Postby blind51de » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:52 pm

"Star Platinum: The World" is just SP with time-stop. It's only limited by Jotaro's ability to withstand stopped time.
http://spwsubs.blog.fc2.com/
柱柱‥ご存じ柱?
MetallicKaiser
Made in Heaven

Postby MetallicKaiser » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:01 am

Banjo Jonochi wrote:The only mention of Star Platinum: The World that I could recall, was in a stat page in the chapter after Jotaro got his Memory Disk back.

Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Postby Kira Kira » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:34 pm

'Heavy Weather' is just Weather Report's Stand when he has full access to his memory and Stand potential, thus manifesting in his snail-transforming phenomenon (which, I'd like to add, still makes no fucking sense with regards to weather manipulation, even with Araki's bullshit 'subliminal messaging' reasoning). It's sort of like 'Killer Queen Bites the Dust', except Weather isn't limited to only being able to use a single facet of his Stand at a time.

MetallicKaiser wrote:Yeah, it was called Star Platinum: The World since part 4, and Heavy Weather was already WP's stand before he lost his memories.

Joutarou's Stand is only labelled 'Star Platinum: The World' in Part 4 from the 'Ratt' fight onwards (and only when he actually uses his time-stop ability, really), and is effectively the same Stand throughout Part 6, but when Joutarou goes to break Jolyne out of his prison, both he and the stat page refer to it as simply 'Star Platinum' and Joutarou himself says that he can only stop time for 1 or 2 seconds.

While his time-stop limit was technically always 5 seconds (as the stat page for 'Star Platinum' near the beginning of Part 6 says he could do since his fight with Dio in Part 3 - or, since he was "18", because Araki fucked up his own timeline after Part 3 and apparently forgot that Jotaro was actually 17), it appears that, perhaps due to disuse or the stamina required to withstand stopped time had taken its toll on him, he felt he could only do it for 1 or 2 seconds and seemingly only felt comfortable pushing it up to 5 seconds once he'd gotten his memory disk back and had to fight Pucci, an opponent whose Stand he'd already lost to before and had since upgraded it (not to mention, he was a disciple of Dio's who now knew and possessed the ability to see into frozen time).

Anyway, that was a long ramble over what basically amounts to mere semantics and Araki's general inconsistency/poor memory. I wonder why Araki felt the need to differentiate the name of 'Star Platinum' when the only differences between the incarnations (i.e. Part 3 and Part 4-6) were an additional ability and a slight but nonetheless unexplained reduction in durability (the latter not seeming to make much difference in his fight with Pucci anyway - 'Made in Heaven' was an outside influence that decreased Joutarou's time-stop). Its physical appearance didn't even change!
"The patterned juggler lifts his hand; the orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel, in the Court of the Crimson King."
MetallicKaiser
Made in Heaven

Postby MetallicKaiser » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:27 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just a standard convention Araki chooses when creating the stand bios, where he sticks the new ability at the end of the name. People will still call their stands their base name, but the full name is more or less just a title for the datasheet. Like you said, he only says Star Platinum's The World when he stops time, which is evident in the sheer heart attack fight where he at some point actually says Star Platinum when summoning it, and then says Star Platinum's The World immediately after.

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 4-5-6”