[Part 5 spoilers] The arrow in Egypt?

You can bet on it... part 4-5-6 topics here!
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

[Part 5 spoilers] The arrow in Egypt?

Postby Kira Kira » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Where again does the manga say Polnareff found the arrow that would later awaken his Stand's Requiem powers? For some reason, I had it in my head that he discovered it in Europe (since he went back to France at the end of Part 3), perhaps in an antique shop, but I might've gotten him confused with the corrupt architect Teruhiko from the Part 4 light novel The Book.

I've seen other sources, including Tara's retranslation of Part 5, have Polnareff monologuing that he found his arrow "twelve or so years ago during a battle in Egypt", that's a pretty egregious retcon. I mean, you think the others would've been aware of it (Polnareff wasn't the type to just be silent about a strange artifact that he just picked up), and if it was after the fight with Dio - perhaps, when he, Joutarou and/or Joseph were looking through Dio's mansion (which is apparently where Joutarou found the diary of Dio's that would become so instrumental to Pucci's 'way to Heaven' in Part 6) - then you'd think it would've been taken in by the SPW Foundation, or that even Joutarou would've investigated it rather than not knowing anything about it until Part 4... but then, even that was retconned in Part 5 when Araki had the story tell us that Joutarou and Polnareff had been hunting down the arrows throughout the 1990s.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
"The patterned juggler lifts his hand; the orchestra begin.
As slowly turns the grinding wheel, in the Court of the Crimson King."
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Re: [Part 5 spoilers] The arrow in Egypt?

Postby Nabu-san » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Yeah Polnareff does say he's found the Arrow in Egypt 12 years ago. During Oasis.

Don't think much of it honestly, that's background.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Postby Kira Kira » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Yeah, I try not to, but it makes me think even moreso how Polnareff, along with the whole 'Requiem' stuff, was such a last-minute addition to Part 5's story arc.
Kyojo777
Made in Heaven

Postby Kyojo777 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:32 pm

To be fair, Jotaro looking surprised when Angelo talked about the arrow could simply just be him being surprised that he met someone with an arrow.
Check out the spiritual successor to the 7th Stand User, approved by Clayman herself, here: http://7su2.tumblr.com
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Postby Nabu-san » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Nah, Jotaro had no idea of the existence of the Arrow before meeting Angelo. That is, until he did know their existence and looked for them during the 90s. That is, until Jotaro didn't even exist in the first place and raised his daughter Irene. That is, until Stands were all granted by Jesus Christ.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
Banjo Jonochi
Stand Warrior

Postby Banjo Jonochi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:20 pm

I always thought Polnareff got the arrow from his first encounter with Diavolo, maybe they fought each other in Egypt when it happened.
Anyways, the whole deal with the stand arrows' whereabouts is confusing somewhat to say the least.
Well this is what the JoJo wikia has to say on the matter:

Six Arrows have been found so far. All of them were originally stolen from an excavation team in Egypt by Diavolo in the year 1986 and all but one were then sold to Enya Geil. They are as follows:
Possessed by Enya Geil and used to awaken DIO's Stand, also causing Stands to awaken within those of Joestar blood. This Arrow is most likely the one (with an accompanying Bow) seen on DIO's wall in the anime adaptation of Stardust Crusaders. May be the source of the shard that Jolyne receives at the beginning of Stone Ocean.
Given to the Nijimura brothers' father by Enya. Used by the brothers to create Stands in order to discover one able to kill their father. Later stolen by Akira Otoishi who tried it on two rats, then was taken into Speedwagon Foundation's custody. May be the source of the shard that Jolyne receives at the beginning of Stone Ocean.
Given to Yoshihiro Kira by Enya. He used it to awake his son's Stand and years later used to create other users to protect him. Its whereabouts after powering up the Stand Killer Queen with Bites the Dust are unknown. It might have been destroyed when Yoshihiro's picture exploded.
The arrow that Diavolo did not sell to Enya. Given to Polpo and merged with Black Sabbath to test new members of Passione. It was shattered with the death of Polpo and Black Sabbath's destruction.
Recovered by Polnareff in Egypt, and used to awaken the Requiem abilities of Silver Chariot and Gold Experience. Later entered the possession of Giorno Giovanna. Might be the same that awoke DIO's stand.
Possibly the arrowhead given to Enrico Pucci by DIO himself, though its whereabouts are unknown as it seemingly disappeared (or returned somehow to DIO) after Pucci was pierced. If not the sixth Arrow, then it could likely be the first Arrow.
Joshua Davis: Especially when it's ******' JustKeepThatInMind, the dude does rants about bird **** and trees! How the **** can you take the man's words seriously!
Juice Fan: Betcha didn't know that?! That is why I am the ultimate Darknessthecurse FANBOY!
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Postby Nabu-san » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Nah, Polnareff got the Arrow after fighting DIO.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
Kira Kira
Evolved Stand

Postby Kira Kira » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:47 am

Even the arrow Keicho (and, later, Akira Otoishi) wielded is a bit of an oddity. We know that, when Keichou says his father "sold his soul to Dio", he's likely referring to being struck with the arrow and being given money to... well, I don't really know what place Nijimura had in Dio's 'organisation'.

Anyway, Keichou initially refers to the Bow and Arrow as his father's "most treasured possessions", but then talks about how it took him "10 years" to learn about Dio, Joutarou, Stands, and "the old lady with the Bow and Arrow" - the latter obviously referring to Enya. And Joutarou previously monologues about how, after Enya died, her arrow went missing. The logical conclusion is that Keichou found wherever Enya's arrow ended up after looking for it, and he'd been using it to create Stand users in Morioh in that year of 1999. I mean, how would one take 10 years to "finally [get his] hands on [the Bow and Arrow]" that apparently was already in the possession of his now-disabled father?

Of course, this is all before we learn that there were multiple arrows used to create Stand users not just in Morioh and Egypt but across the world. Kira's father says he got his arrow from "that old woman in Egypt" (Enya), so Joutarou deduces that Keichou got a "different arrow and also came to Morioh".

Please tell me if I've got something wrong here.

Kyojo777 wrote:To be fair, Jotaro looking surprised when Angelo talked about the arrow could simply just be him being surprised that he met someone with an arrow.

He didn't only look surprised; he said after Angelo's story that he always wondered how Dio got his Stand, but that the Bow and Arrow must be the answer. If Joutarou already knew about the arrows, then he shouldn't have been wondering how Dio got his Stand or, for that matter, perplexed as to how Angelo got his Stand because he wasn't a born Stand user.

Banjo Jonochi wrote:I always thought Polnareff got the arrow from his first encounter with Diavolo, maybe they fought each other in Egypt when it happened.

What Nabu said: he got the arrow in Egypt, which probably would've been after fighting Dio.

IIRC, Polnareff first fought Diavolo in Italy.

Return to “JoJo Manga Parts 4-5-6”