What are you currently watching/reading?

Feel free to discuss about any other manga/anime here!
OneGamer2EnvyThemAll
Stand User

Re: What are you currently watching/reading?

Postby OneGamer2EnvyThemAll » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Do It One More Time is a manhwa about how a married couple who hate each other go back in time to the moment they first met, forcing them to decide if they'll remarry or go their separate ways.

It's actually done incredibly well.
Coming Soon:
Divine Punishment
Not-So-Magical
The Doll Shop Maiden
The King's Wives
Nabu-san
Made in Heaven

Postby Nabu-san » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Inspector Kurokochi is a must-read. It's the story of a corrupt cop who uses illegal means to solve cases involving powerful politicians. However, it seems the English speaking internet hasn't caught up on it, shame.

There was Imagine nation emission about it if you want to know more about the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJB-VW6WGw
skip to 2:20.
信じてるぜ!
信じてるよ!
オインゴ ボインゴ 兄弟 !
frankzappa
Made in Heaven

Postby frankzappa » Sun May 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Well "i am a hero" was a big fucking disappointment.

it's like Gantz all over again, all that relentless build-up to jack shit.
ImageImageImage
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Mon May 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Can you tell us about the ending in spoiler tags? I've only watched the live-action movie.
frankzappa
Made in Heaven

Postby frankzappa » Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Nothing and i mean NOTHING is resolved. The entire last quarter just hurdles towards some kind of grand reveal at break neck speed and all the various groups are set to meet in the middle and resolve all the character arcs but it never happens. The manga scarifies a lot for this, it totally drops the hyper detailed super zombie body horror from the beginning in lieu of these mutants and giant zombie amalgamations, which isn't bad as you read it cuz it looks like it's building towards something. the last quarter basically does nothing but pose more questions and seemingly promises to answer them.

Then the ending comes out of nowhere and zero tension is relieved. A couple characters die randomly, one guy gets introduced and treated like we share care about him but he dies too, one group gets a super happy ending with one shitbag (a shitbag who seemed like he was going to be important to the plot) completely changing personalities and doesn't reveal anything, the main character goes back to square one and loses all character development and the series ends with him farming, the nature of the zombies is never revealed nor are the giant zombie hive-minds or the crazy half zombies that work with and against them seemingly randomly.

it's like Gantz, the whole series started building up to a bunch of mysteries and then forgets about all them in the span of three chapters.

that said the first half is by far the best Zombie manga ever done.
ImageImageImage
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Tue May 23, 2017 6:51 pm

It's a shame then. Thanks.
frankzappa
Made in Heaven

Postby frankzappa » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:52 pm

I'm rewatching One Piece with the Funimation dub (which is absolutely amazing, does the comedy much better) and MAN even after all these years Brooks backstory still makes me cry like a bitch. In fact the entire ending of Thriller bark is pretty amazing in retrospect.

It's crazy how much Oda makes you emotionally invest in this universe, i can't think of any other mangaka who's been half as successful at that.
ImageImageImage
Badalight
Stand Requiem

Postby Badalight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 am

frankzappa wrote:I'm rewatching One Piece with the Funimation dub (which is absolutely amazing, does the comedy much better) and MAN even after all these years Brooks backstory still makes me cry like a bitch. In fact the entire ending of Thriller bark is pretty amazing in retrospect.

It's crazy how much Oda makes you emotionally invest in this universe, i can't think of any other mangaka who's been half as successful at that.

Berserk? HXH? Lone Wolf and Cub? Vagabond? Battle Angel Alita? Oyasumi Pun Pun? :giornod
frankzappa
Made in Heaven

Postby frankzappa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Badalight wrote:
frankzappa wrote:I'm rewatching One Piece with the Funimation dub (which is absolutely amazing, does the comedy much better) and MAN even after all these years Brooks backstory still makes me cry like a bitch. In fact the entire ending of Thriller bark is pretty amazing in retrospect.

Berserk? HXH? Lone Wolf and Cub? Vagabond? Battle Angel Alita? Oyasumi Pun Pun? :giornod

Well none of the series you listed has very good world building in my opinion they're either historical or have very vague or unfleshed out settings compare to one piece. so i'll focus on the emotional investment aspect.

Berserk never really made me feel anything, regardless of how much i like it, the setting kind of dilutes any tragedy as it's expected.

Lone Wolf and Cub is up there but i think the nostalgia factor is in one piece's favor.

HxH is more raw interest then emotional investment,though chimera ant arc had it's moments.

I hate Vagabond with a fiery passion, so it's hard to get attached.

Never read Battle Angel Alita or Oyasumi Pun Pun.

i think the softer tragedies of one piece and jojo just affect me more than the more brutal stuff like berserk or devil man. like shigechi's death made me cry, numerous moments in one piece made me tear up (Bell-mère flashback, Tom flashback, Brooks backstory, and even recently big mom's backstory). Guts's backstory or the eclipse didn't, as good as they were.
ImageImageImage
ColonelMagenta943
Stand Requiem

Postby ColonelMagenta943 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 pm

I have so far watched absolutely nothing from this year. I heard that Pluto got an adaptation announced which is lovely, hopefully it will be airing soon (20th CB adaptation/Gunnm adaptation are also other source material that I am waiting for).

Still waiting for Vento aureo, i do hope they spend good time on the production and give it a seasonal break.
"It's all in the game" Omar Little
"I'd rather betray the world, then let the world betray me" Cao Cao
GoldSaint95
Newborn

Postby GoldSaint95 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 am

Kingdom Hearts re-reading again all the mangas,sad they never continued the manga series,at least the games are so great I just wanted it to have a little blood but but it's disney so even a modder can't do that,but we can play with roxas org 13 coat on hd and roxas pajamas so its great,and armored terra with cape and ride the keyblade.
Only the truth survives. :gyro3 :yare :dioread :pluck
Badalight
Stand Requiem

Postby Badalight » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:08 am

ColonelMagenta943 wrote:I have so far watched absolutely nothing from this year. I heard that Pluto got an adaptation announced which is lovely, hopefully it will be airing soon (20th CB adaptation/Gunnm adaptation are also other source material that I am waiting for).

Still waiting for Vento aureo, i do hope they spend good time on the production and give it a seasonal break.

20th cb will never get an adaption since it got a movie trilogy. Gunmm won't either because it's getting a hollywood adaption. They will absolutely never get animes.
mavstation
Beginner

Postby mavstation » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

I am watching love live so put me in the trash where i belong
Hype for rwby volume 5
Carolina AIR FORCE
Stand User

Postby Carolina AIR FORCE » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:08 am

Phantom Blood, though already read it before. Just read the part where in chapters 24-28
Jonathan fought Bruford who was a vampire with honor. Even though he swore loyalty to Dio, he disobeyed Dio, which surprised Dio. And he was honored to fight Jonathan because he saw that he was worthy , after all Bruford gave his life over a noble cause despite Dio making him a monster essentially. After the life force of the SUN LIGHT YELLOW OVERDRIVE, he jumps to attack him even as he is dying, and though Speedwagon mocked him and also tried to warn Jojo of his attack, Jonathan did not resist, because he said, did you say that you felt pain? And it proved that he behind all that was still a human made in Gods image and not a demonic monsterous vampire. That scene where you see Brufords face change is so beautiful makes me want to cry, how Jonathan did that was really incredible and super honorable, he allowed him to pass on in peace and honor, man to man. I feel the same way about Jesus too and his power to save, even though Bruford had a covenant with hell and with death by Dio Brando a vampire, God disannulled that by the Chief Corner Stone laid in Zion as it were through Jonathan and His Spirit of Truth which by example Jonathan reminded Bruford from whence he had fallen, causing a change within him, which is a good work to them both and a testament of Bruford's love of truth and honor and doing the right thing, after all that was what made him a powerful knight in his former life, before he ever met Dio, he fought for truth in the face of all tyranny, and even gave his life for Mary Stuart who was wrongfully murdered by Queen Liz, as the narrative of PB is concerned.

You can see why swearing an oath is also called a curse, and Jesus taught against it but rather saying yes or no, James said Above All Things my brethren, Swear not by any oath, but let your yea be yea and your nay be nay lest you fall into condemnation. So if Bruford had decided to fulfill his oath he swore to Dio he would have died the death of a monster, but instead he chose to disobey Dio, and that simple step in disobeying proved he was not bound by Dio as a complete slave to him, but that he did have free will all along... and it took Jonathan for him to finally admit that and come to Rest In Peace. When I saw this when I was younger it did not jump out to me as being that special, but I value different things now, like a good character, mercy judgment righteousness and faith ,over power or fame or fortune and all the world has to offer. I suppose when you mature you savor things that have eternal value and goodness rather than temporal things that can be fleeting and vain.
JOHN3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

✞✞✞✞✞✞✞ ✞✞✞✞✞✞✞ ✞✞✞✞✞✞✞

In my mind I'm gone to Carolina
mavstation
Beginner

Postby mavstation » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:34 am

Started watching dragon ball super and My hero Academia. I skipped battle of gods and resurrection of f and i am kinda liking the universe 6 arc so far. I love MHA and i honestly dont know who my favorite character is.
Last edited by mavstation on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hype for rwby volume 5
Joker
Evolved Stand

Postby Joker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Blitzed through both seasons of "Gundam 00" and it was a blast. Maybe not my favourite series, but it's definitely one of the better non-UC shows I've seen in the franchise.

The movie isn't available in my region, but considering what i've heard about it...maybe that's for the best. :p
ColonelMagenta943
Stand Requiem

Postby ColonelMagenta943 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:52 am

Badalight wrote:
ColonelMagenta943 wrote:I have so far watched absolutely nothing from this year. I heard that Pluto got an adaptation announced which is lovely, hopefully it will be airing soon (20th CB adaptation/Gunnm adaptation are also other source material that I am waiting for).

20th cb will never get an adaption since it got a movie trilogy. Gunmm won't either because it's getting a hollywood adaption. They will absolutely never get animes.

Reason for Gunnm for not having an adaptation is due to licensing issues if i remember correctly. We'll see if they'll adapt the manga once the movie airs.
"It's all in the game" Omar Little
"I'd rather betray the world, then let the world betray me" Cao Cao
Badalight
Stand Requiem

Postby Badalight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 am

ColonelMagenta943 wrote:
Badalight wrote:

Reason for Gunnm for not having an adaptation is due to licensing issues if i remember correctly. We'll see if they'll adapt the manga once the movie airs.

It 100% won't. I'm sure Gunmm has reasons for not getting an anime adaption so far. My point is, after the movie comes out, those chances go straight to zero.
IKKI
Dat french dawg

Postby IKKI » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm

If you haven't watched Made in Abyss, from last season, I'd recommend it.

This season, I hope Inuyashiki will be good.
frankzappa
Made in Heaven

Postby frankzappa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:24 am

IKKI wrote:If you haven't watched Made in Abyss, from last season, I'd recommend it.

This season, I hope Inuyashiki will be good.

the manga of Inuyashiki, what i read of it anyway, was really good.

it seemed to have improved on a lot of Gantz's faults.

though the ending may have still shit the bed in a similar way, i'll have to finish it sometime.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Manga/Anime”