Hanyaan's JoJotastic Cosplay Tutorials Thread!

Want to dress up as your favorite anime/manga character? Show your stuff here.
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Hanyaan's JoJotastic Cosplay Tutorials Thread!

Postby Hanyaan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:16 am

Hey guys!

While I'm not claiming to be a super expert at anything I do cosplay-wise, I do have some knowledge relating to JoJo cosplay that I'd like to share with the community here! I'll be filling this thread up with various tutorials that I make, mostly related to makeup and to hair but eventually who knows what I'll end up making! If anybody else would like to contribute any JoJo-related cosplay-type tutorials, please also post them, and I'll link to them in this first post.

Completed Tutorials

-Speedwagon scar

Upcoming Tutorials
-General Character Makeup, Golden Wind/Stone Ocean
-General Character Makeup, earlier parts/SBR
-Female character makeup, super girly or Stone Ocean styles
-Female character makeup, badass/manlier style
-Hairstyle: Doppio
-Hairstyle: Polnareff wig (hopefully! I just need to get one of my friends to commission me to make one)
Last edited by Hanyaan on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I mean, c'mon! you're a cosplayer! you dress up as cartoon characters for fun! You pretend to be a 15 year old half italian half japanese mobster on the weekends! this shit is not serious!"
-OutlawWolf
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Re: Hanyaan's JoJotastic Cosplay Tutorials Thread!

Postby Hanyaan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:22 am

This is a lol webcam tutorial for how to do Speedwagon's scar. You can also use this for other scarred characters, or maybe for Avdol's cheek lines. Please do NOT use this for Kakyoin or Magenta. Rigid collodion does NOT go near your eyes (and if you do that anyway and get some in your eyes and go blind or something I am totally NOT responsible for what happens), and Magenta's scars are an entirely different method altogether. Further warning: Yes, you CAN use this tutorial for Dio's neck scars, and no, you will not enjoy it if you do.

The #1 thing you need for this: Rigid Collodion. It is really awesome stuff. You can order it online or buy it in theatrical supply stores.

Start with your bottle of collodion, a brown-red pencil, and a white pencil. Not pictured: face powder. Also make sure to have either a lot of patience or some cosmetic-grade acetone. Peeling this stuff off is entirely possible but often a pain, and the acetone will dissolve it.

Open your collodion bottle. Do not let it drip everywhere. Note the horrible smell. It's like nail polish, only worse! Oh well, who needs brain cells.

Paint a line of this stuff where you want your scar to go and let it dry. You'll probably want to close your eyes while it dries because THE FUMES THEY BURN.

The more layers you paint, the more deeply sunken a scar you'll get! I can't see shit with my webcam to do multiple layers so I ran off to the mirror and did six or seven more layers. If your face is anything like mine, it'll be sunken in a lot more on your cheeks than near your nose.

Take your brownish red lipliner and lightly color in the actual scar. I'm using some crappy NYC brand lipliner, which was 99 cents and works just fine. It doesn't matter if this looks perfect or not. I recommend using a bunch of short strokes to fill it in rather than just coloring like with crayons or something.

Run your finger over that once or twice so it looks a bit more smudged and a bit less OMG A LINE. Japanese pose and XTREEEEEEEEME CLOSEUP optional.

Draw some white lines on either side of that shit with a white eyeliner pencil. I used the NYC brand stuff again because hey, it's dirt cheap. Any brand is fine though. You can make the white a little bit wonky and it'll still be fine. Yes, this looks like a really dumb halo. No, it will not look like this at the end.

Smudge that white stuff a little bit. You don't even really need a mirror for this. The only goal is to make there be no super obvious lines.

Put some translucent or lightly colored powder over it. This step not pictured because like fuck I'm getting powder anywhere near my laptop.

Retouch the brownish red a little if the powder covered it up too much. Also not pictured because this time I didn't need to do that.

MR JOESTAR MR JOESTAR!!!! (OPTIONAL: Try and be Joestar cool. Fail utterly.)

TO REMOVE THIS STUFF: Use either cosmetic grade acetone on a cotton ball, which smells even worse than the collodion but gets it off fast, or just peel it off. Wash your face.

"I mean, c'mon! you're a cosplayer! you dress up as cartoon characters for fun! You pretend to be a 15 year old half italian half japanese mobster on the weekends! this shit is not serious!"
-OutlawWolf
Evil Kimba
Evolved Stand

Postby Evil Kimba » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:23 am

C...Can I add my Kakyoin eye scars technique? It won't be posted until after the weekend, but now I have this weird urge to make a tutorial for it while I'm at the con.
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Postby Hanyaan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:29 am

Do it fgt! :D The more tutorials in here the better!

-OutlawWolf
Evil Kimba
Evolved Stand

Postby Evil Kimba » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:31 am

Sweet. XD If I can find free internets at the con, it might be up before Sunday, BUT I DOUBT IT.
justajoestar
Soldier of Light

Postby justajoestar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:41 am

This is awesome and extremely useful. Consider yourself STICKY-ED.
(no really, that scar looks like something that might scare someone that wasn't warned about it, it looks so real!)
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Postby Hanyaan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 am

Oh wow, thank you! :love

Rigid collodion is one of the coolest things ever. It's so quick and easy, and you're right, you get some really surprised people because the scar really is three-dimensionally sunk into your face! I used it to give my forehead a lightning bolt scar back when I was working at a bookstore during the seventh Harry Potter book's launch, and I ended up with people touching my face in surprise all night.

I took some theatrical makeup classes at my local college a while back, so combined with my cosmetology student skillz I know a lot about hair and makeup now and well, if I possibly CAN help people out, I'd like to!

-OutlawWolf
The Time Devourer
Ripple Master

Postby The Time Devourer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Neat. I think I know who I'm going to hire to help me with my halloween costume ;)
I must break you.
Drunken_Dragon
Protagonist

Postby Drunken_Dragon » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:23 pm

Aww... And here I was going to cut my face when I did guts cosplay.. =/.

Now I can't because this would be too logical and easy =(

(Very nice btw)
Evil Kimba
Evolved Stand

Postby Evil Kimba » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:13 pm

FINALLY, here's a general JoJo makeup tutorial (also includes Female to Male crossplay makeup) and my Kakyoin eye scars. For supplies for the general makeup (this goes for men, too), you will need foundation that matches your skin, concealer (if needed) to cover up blemishes, coloured corrective makeup (if needed); yellow corrects blue spots (under eye circles and for men, grey stubble) and green corrects red (zits and the like), a quad neutral eyeshadow palette (I use Physician's Formula Canyon Classic matte eyeshadow quad), black liner, mascara, makeup sponges, and finishing powder to set.

Step 1: WASH YOUR FACE. No picture, but this should go without saying to start with clean skin.

Step 2: Apply foundation all over your face.

It'll give you a nice, even skintone to start with.

Step 3: Apply your corrective makeup if there are discoloured blemishes, then cover with a dab of concealer and blend it in.

(Look, stuff is labeled! I forgot to take supply pics)

Step 4: Start adding definition to your face. Suck in your cheeks and take the second darkest shade in your palette and smooth it into the hollows of your cheeks. Remember to blend well!

Step 5: Apply the same shade under your jaw and, if your nose is narrow/you're female, on the sides of your nose. Also, for crossplayers, apply it under your eyebrows.

Step 6: If you're doing older JoJo series when Araki drew the dark lines on cheeks/chins for definition, take the same shade you've been using and put it on the thin part of your makeup sponge. Gently dab it on the center of your chin and from the apples of your cheeks almost all the way down to your chin. Blend lightly.

Step 7: Using a clean side of your makeup sponge (or a new one), take the lightest shade in your eyeshadow quad. Add highlights to the tops of your cheeks and eyebrows.

Step 8: Using a pencil liner (or liquid if you can do it. I fail with liquid eyeliner), apply liner to your bottom lid. Then apply your mascara.

Step 9: For women, put some chapstick on your lips, then apply a light coat of concealer to your lips. You don't want them deathly pale, just a bit less pink.

Step 10: Set with finishing powder! You're done!

Optional: If you want your eyebrows to match your wig, take a matching liner pencil and colour in your eyebrows.

Next post: Kakyoin's eye scars!
Evil Kimba
Evolved Stand

Postby Evil Kimba » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 pm

And now for Kakyoin's eye scars! AS A NOTE, BE CAREFUL SINCE I DO THIS WITH RIGID COLLODIAN. ONLY put it where your sunglasses stop and don't get it on your eyelids; it'll pull and be generally uncomfortable. The fumes don't bother my eyes, but they might bother yours so test it first.

Materials needed: Rigid Collodian, brown eyeliner, white eyeliner, and powder to finish. Powder isn't pictured.

Step 1: Make sure the area where you are putting the scars is clean and dry. Lightly draw in the lines using white liner to make sure they're symmetrical. You can't see them well in the pic, so I drew white lines in photoshop on top of them.

Step 2: Gently apply a layer of rigid collodian along your base lines. Let it dry and keep putting on layers until you get the desired depth. Repeat for the other side.

Step 3: Take your brown liner and lightly colour in the collodian, then blend it.

Step 4: Take your white liner again and make a light halo around the scars. Blend it.

Step 5: Powder set it and you're done.
(NO PIC, OOPS)

Step 6: WEAR YOUR SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT AND ACT LIKE A BADASS.
jojonounderworld
Space Jockey

Postby jojonounderworld » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 am

Fuck yeah! You guys look cool!
"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life" -David 8
「無事 ナプキンをとってくれ」 「もちろんだ.ありがとう」
「俺は人間をやめるぞ!ジョジョ!」
TaKaHaN
Stand Warrior

Postby TaKaHaN » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 pm

This tutorial is great!!!
anymore good stuff?
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Postby Hanyaan » Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 pm

GENERAL PART 5 MAKEUP TUTORIAL

Why part 5 instead of starting with the early parts? Because part 5 is the most extreme look, and it'll be easier for me to do subsequent tutorials once I've shown everybody the really tricky parts. This look is very basic; I'll include notes at the end for some specific characters.

INTRODUCTION AND THEORY

Doing cosplay makeup is often more like doing stage makeup than the kind of makeup you'd see in everyday life. Even standard makeup for photography (the sort you'd see in ads, on TV, or in the movies) differs from the sort of makeup that an average girl would put on for work or for a night out, and stage makeup is even more extreme. Stage makeup's techniques are designed to make sure your facial features are visible from a long distance away and under harsh lighting. Considering your average cosplay picture is taken with a crappy camera at a convention center or hotel with really bad lighting, the similarities should be somewhat obvious! Therefore what you really need is a 'combination' of styles, something that will make sure your face reads well both from a distance and close up.

The basic principle behind most of what I'm going to show you is 'contouring'. Light areas appear to protrude, and dark areas to recede. I can 99% guarantee that your face doesn't cast the same shadows as a piece of Araki artwork, so part of what we're going to do in each section is to paint the proper shadows onto your face. I'd recommend starting out studying a how to for theatrical "straight" makeup (this one I got from Google is pretty good) and maybe a youtube video or two about contouring makeup. It'll give you a decent overview of the sort of thing we'll be doing.

I'd like you to keep in mind throughout this entire tutorial that this style of makeup is only what I have come up with to interpret a particular artist's work. Everybody has their own idea of what things should look like in real life. Everybody also has different facial features, unless you're an identical twin. Makeup is like painting, and like any form of art it is open to interpretation. Please play around with the techniques and ideas that I suggest, until you find something that works for you. Make this your own!

ABSOLUTE MINIMUM SUPPLY LIST
Foundation matched to your skintone or within one or two shades. I like Ben Nye creme foundation for cosplay, but Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse is OK for drugstore makeup. If you use drugstore stuff, you also need concealer. Theatrical makeup covers almost anything.
Highlighter can be foundation several shades too light, highlighting powder, or creme color lighter than your skin.
Bronzer/shadower. Creme shadow, bronzer powder, bronzer liquid, anything a bit darker than your skin and blendable.
Powder, either transparent (preferable) or matching your skintone
Eyeshadow in a medium tone
Eyeshadow in a tone lighter than your skin
Eyeshadow in a dark tone. For all eyeshadows, brown palette goes with anything and is easiest to deal with, or you can use coordinating colors.
Black eyeliner, liquid or pencil; liquid lasts longer, pencil is easier for beginners. I use either depending on what's on hand.
Eyelash Curler. They are awesome.
Black mascara. For later JoJo I'm really fond of Cover Girl Lash Blast, but Maybelline Great Lash is a good basic too. Even cheap mascara can work if applied properly.
Eyebrow Pencil matching your hair/wig. In case of oddly colored wig, use an eyeliner instead that is the same as your wig but a few shades darker.
Eyebrow Comb or Old Toothbrush
Lip balm or nude lipstick, UNLESS you are doing oddly colored lips (blue, green, black, etc)
Basic Applicator Tools. Foam foundation wedges, etc.

FOR ODDLY COLORED LIPS
Eyeliner in a similar shade
Lip brush
Lipstick or Ben Nye Creme Color in the odd shade of your choice
Clear lipgloss that you don't mind ruining
Optional: Loose Glitter in a color matching your lipstick

OPTIONAL
Set of makeup application brushes instead of fingers, paintbrushes, and foam wedges
Glitter eyeliner (Heavy Metal liner from Urban Decay is my favorite)
False lashes and lash glue
Glitter
White Eyeliner
Contacts deserve a mention. Whether they're color contacts or clear ones you're wearing for vision, put them in BEFORE you do your makeup!

BUT HANYAAN, WHERE IS THE TUTORIAL?!
Okay, okay, I'm getting to that. I know I practically write novels when I do tutorials. Yeesh.

-OutlawWolf
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Postby Hanyaan » Mon May 04, 2009 5:03 pm

OKAY 3 2 1 LET'S JAM.

Start off with a clean, makeup-free face. Apply sunscreen and/or moisturizer. Your skin will thank you afterwards.

Apply foundation to your entire face.

Apply dark contouring to add shadows to your face for more definition. This looks awful until you blend, so don't worry!

Apply highlighting to balance out the contouring and help hide unwanted shadows on your face. This will look even worse without blending, so still don't worry! A lot of the highlighter around my eyes is to counteract that I have very deep-set eyes with natural dark shadows, so this is a prime place to experiment.

Blend the shadows and highlights together carefully. You can add more shadow or more highlight or more foundation if you need.

Seal this part off with powder. Don't rub it on. Blot it on, or use a powder brush in a circular motion to buff it on. After you powder, it's pretty much on there for good!

THOSE...EYEBROWS
It really, really helps if your eyebrows are "cleaned up" when you cosplay. You don't have to tweeze them into that perfect JoJo arch that kind of looks like a katakana ヘ but at the very least clean up any stray hairs, and trim them if they're very long. Eyebrows frame your face!

Fill in your brows with an eyebrow pencil or a powder eyebrow fill and a brush. Use a pencil that matches your wig or hair. I'm using a dark brown pencil here because my hair is currently dark brown, but when I cosplay Doppio I use white and purple eyeliner to fill in my brows, and a blonde pencil for Giorno or Miu Miu Miu or Johnny. Note: My eyebrows are kind of jacked up right now because I overtweezed them and they are growing out.

EYE MAKEUP

This is the fun part, and where you really get to play around! Please check any of the myriad of available online eye makeup tutorials if you don't like how this looks on you or you need more application techniques!

Scatter some powder right below your eyes to catch excess eyeshadow. You'll sweep it off at the end without smudging the excess makeup into your face!

Optional Step: apply fake eyelashes. I dislike wearing them (and have long enough lashes that I don't always need them), so I'm not using them in this tutorial. This is, however, when you'd put them on.

Apply the base (medium) color of eyeshadow.

Apply light eyeshadow right below your brows, and dark eyeshadow in the "crease" area. I also tend to apply darker eyeshadow all the way around my eye corner and down around, but that's to compensate for part of my eye shape.

Apply eyeliner to the upper lid and lower lids.

Optional but awesome step: tightline the upper eyelid. Tightlining really looks awesome in pictures, but a lot of people have strong eye reflexes and won't be able to do this without their eyelids spasming and eyes watering. If you can't do it, don't sweat it!

Optional step depending on character: Line the bottom rim of your eyes with white eyeliner. This can really open up your eyes and make you look more awake. If you're doing a character who's older (Diavolo, Abbacchio, etc) or who has very very defined black around their eyes (Secco, Doppio, etc), don't do this. For characters with very dark defined black around their eyes, line all of the rims of your eyes with black eye pencil if possible. This is another step where your eyes may not like you doing this.

Curl your eyelashes with an eyelash curler. Fun fact: Miu Miu is shown using one of these in Stone Ocean.

Optional Steps: Add more eyeliner if needed, use glitter eyeliner, add extra glitter to your browbone, or anything else like that!

Apply several coats of mascara to your upper and lower eyelashes. This may take practice, so try it beforehand! If you have long lashes like mine that hit your browbone when you open your eyes wide, apply mascara to your lower lashes first, and then take time between coats on the upper lashes to let them dry before you open your eyes all the way and have tons of tiny black dots on your browbone. They're a pain to remove.

Dust the powder and excess eye makeup off.

ORDINARY LIPS

If you aren't making a lipstick statement with blue or green or black or the like, apply a sheer lip balm (Burt's Bees in Pomegranate is wonderful; barely any color, makes your lips nice and not dry, and smells/tastes lovely), or a nice nude lipstick. I actually prefer to use neither, and use a purple-pink shade about the same color as my lips with a little shimmer to it; it looks nice in photos.

ODDLY COLORED LIPS

Blue or green lipstick screams JoJo, so if your outfit calls for it, it can be tons of fun! And when your lip color has nothing to do with nature, you can also subtly redraw your lipline a bit to more match Araki. I slightly overline my upper lip since it's thinner than my lower lip. Caveat: If you do this, whether you are a man or a woman, you will have to shave your lip. Either beard hairs (for a man) or the tiny colorless hairs every woman has will look weird if you put lipstick on them.

Outline your lips with the lip color eyeliner. Fill in.

Saturate your lip brush with the lipstick or creme color. Apply it covering all of the lipliner.

Apply clear gloss over. If you want, you can also get some dirt cheap eyeshadow, crumble it up, and mix it with the gloss.

Optional Step: Put loose glitter onto your lips on top of the gloss. Press your lips together to seal the glitter into the gloss.

DO THIS IF YOU CAN

Get some makeup sealant (my absolute favorite is Ben Nye Final Seal) and spray it lightly onto your entire face, neck, and ears in several very light misty coats. You don't want your makeup going anywhere!

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS LONG
Yeah, I know. Now go take pictures showing us how FABULOUS you can be!

-OutlawWolf
SourNine
Stand User

Postby SourNine » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:50 pm

i recently use Hanyaan's pt5 makeup tutorial and i loooove her for it. it worked out great!
ClassicGuardian
Gangster Star

Postby ClassicGuardian » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Oh...My god. You guys are crazy. Crazily AWESOME! Like...I didn't think...Cosplaying...This in depth...Ohh...man

That scar stuff...Really looks like it hurts. But you guys look so cool, I really can't imagine doing all that! Or even thinking that up! It looks great overall. :)
NostalgiaFan wrote:If there was ever a right time for ClassicGuardian to be pissed and cry about how JOJO is being treated without respect with a justified purpose, now would be the right time.

XLIFE wrote:Now that you mention it, I just noticed I haven't seen him rant in a while.
Evil Kimba
Evolved Stand

Postby Evil Kimba » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:53 pm

ClassicGuardian wrote:Oh...My god. You guys are crazy. Crazily AWESOME! Like...I didn't think...Cosplaying...This in depth...Ohh...man

That scar stuff...Really looks like it hurts. But you guys look so cool, I really can't imagine doing all that! Or even thinking that up! It looks great overall. :)

Scar stuff doesn't hurt at all; it just pulls a tiny bit as it's drying. If you just peel it off, though, THEN it hurts. Especially if you get it in your eyebrows. No, this isn't coming from personal experience, whatever gave you that idea? :P
PopPopMayor
Made in Heaven

Postby PopPopMayor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 pm

Okk, so VeeCee just sent me over here because i really wanna cosplay out of part 5. And FUCKKKK that stuff looks awesome :X

Question for Hanyaan though. Being that i'm, you know, a boy and all, should i skip anything here? I mean, i wanna look like a fabulous girly part 5 character, but not so much as i end up ACCTUALLY looking like a chick. Also, my skill in applying makeup is.. Well.. Hi I'm a boy :) any tips or things to watch for or anythingss? or should i just go ask my mom or sister "I wanna be pretty to how i can hez makeup!?".

:polnareff

<- So confused. & Feels kind of funny talking about wearing Makeup..
Hanyaan
Made in Heaven

Postby Hanyaan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 am

Don't be afraid of makeup. Makeup is your friend, especially when you're getting photographed. (Do you know how much makeup just TV news crew are wearing? Hint: It's a crapton.)

One of the reasons I still look very girly is that I am exactly that: A GIRL. JoJo in general is very androgynous, and I do in fact recommend breaking out the mascara a bit. Find somebody willing to help you who knows something about makeup, and practice if you get the chance.

Also, Target has the best cheap foundation sponges and cheap brushes. A++ to them.

-OutlawWolf

Return to “Cosplay”